Dealing With An Unwanted Divorce

On Behalf of | Nov 10, 2014 | Divorce

What To Do If You Don’t Want the Divorce

If your spouse has filed for a divorce you must take action to protect yourself even if you don’t want the divorce. Once your spouse has filed a Petition For Dissolution of Marriage with the Court you have twenty (20) calendar days in which to file a response. If you fail to respond your spouse can move forward to a Final Hearing without you and you may lose your right to alimony, child support, timesharing with your children, division of your property and more.

You Must Respond to the Petition

If you don’t want the divorce, the Court may order marriage counseling or you and your spouse may enter into a separate maintenance agreement which provides for support and timesharing with your children. However, you must respond to make you wishes known to the Court.

Not responding to the Petition For Dissolution of Marriage could place you and your children in jeopardy. Don’t wait to speak to a Jacksonville divorce attorney regarding your situation. Contact Us for a free, no-hassle consultation.